Saturday, September 15, 2012

Paleo Jerky Sticks

Alli and I love to eat jerky. It is usually made from wild game with the exception of some grass fed beef once in a while. I love to switch up the recipe and find the best way to make it and I think I have finally found a winner. The great thing about it is that it has zero preservatives, it is soy-free, gluten free, GMO free, paleo-friendly, and it tastes really good! You can use whatever meat you like or have available and I would love to hear if you have any modifications to the recipe I post.

 Paleo Jerky Sticks
(This is a spicy version so if you prefer a more mild version cut back on the hotter spices or don't add the hot sauce)

  • 4lbs. Ground Elk Meat
  • 1lb. Ground Grass-Fed Beef (Local if possible)
  • 3/4 bottle of Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos
  • 1/2 box of  Sun-Maid Zante Currants
  • 2T Black Pepper
  • 1.5t Salt
  • 2t Penzeys Garlic Powder
  • 1t Penzeys Smoked Paprika
  • .5-1t of Cayenne Pepper 
  • 1t  Allspice
  • 2T of your favorite hot sauce. I use one made locally with ghost peppers.

Put everything together in a bowl and mix it all together very good. I let mine sit in the refrigerator overnight so the flavors can really penetrate the ground meat.

Cooking the meat:
This process will vary depending on what you have but I use a Traeger grill and smoke the jerky. It turns out great and I highly recommend smoking it; however, I know that is not available to everyone so a dehydrator will work really good too, I am just not sure how long it will cook so keep an eye on it.

Take the meat from the refrigerator and load it into a jerky gun. I use the Cabela's Jerky Pistol and it works great. You can use the flat or the round style, I cook them both the same amount of time.

Fill your wire racks and place them into your smoking device at 170-180 degrees.

Let the jerky smoke for three hours checking halfway through just to make sure everything looks good. At three hours, flip the jerky over and continue to smoke for another 2-3 hours, depending on how done you prefer the jerky. Once it is finished, let it cool and enjoy.

I like to vacuum seal mine in bunches of 10 for emergency snacks. It works great for traveling! I plan to take several packs with us on our trip to Estes Park in a couple weeks! :)


I hope you enjoy it and please let me know what you think!

-Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment